EARLY WARNING SYSTEM (EWS)
Goal: Alert Rapid Response Teams about a patient’s deteriorating condition in order to avoid cardiopulmonary arrest in non-ICU settings.
Led to interventions for needs not
otherwise detected by clinical staff
- 50.4% reduction in acute respiratory compromise (ARC)
- 23.1% reduction in cardio-pulmonary arrests (CPA)
- 2628 ICU-days avoided
- $9.26 M in actual savings
A real time model that identifies if a patient is suspected of having high risk of sepsis, alerting care teams who can decide if additional interventions are need.
A real-time predictive model that identifies and triggers intervention of patients with high risk of sepsis development after being admitted to the hospital.
- Both models run in real time and if a patient is suspected of having high risk of sepsis, an alert is generated and sent to the care team. The care team tan then make a decision as to whether additional interventions are needed.
Two Year Impact
- 3-fold increase in bundle compliance rates
- 628 lives saved
- 1248 ICU stays
- ~$10.7 M in potential cost savings
- Model is expected to impact 18,038 patients from 23,524 hospitalizations each year
- Epic-integrated. real-time, enhanced AI-based risk score
- Screens all adult patients at the point of hospitalization and flags high risk individuals who can benefit from pharmacist intervention
Two Year Impact
- 87,425 patients screened
- 8,731 at risk patients identified
- 5X higher ‘Very High Risk’ consults
- 20% annual work hour savings per pharmtech
- $2.9 M in actual savings
- 23.5% readmission reduction